How can i export my personal items?

If you need to export personal items, for example, because you are relocating for business purposes, there are some critical points to consider.

You may need to bring a modest number of personal effects, such as clothing, books or other household goods, or a larger amount, such as furniture, household equipment or automobiles.

Thus, depending on the quantity and volume of personal affects you wish to transport and the country to which you are moving, you will need to determine whether you are transporting them by land, sea, or air.

In addition, you should consider whether you need to export your personal effects immediately, in which case it is prudent to use the plane, which is faster but more expensive, or the ship, which is slower but less expensive and is particularly suitable for transporting a large volume of personal effects.

Each of these forms of transportation has a different price structure that varies according to the distance traveled. In addition, depending on the country of destination, it may be necessary to go through easier or more complicated customs procedures, pay a number of fees and comply with stricter or more liberal regulations.

“Personal effects can be exported by land, sea or air, depending on the urgency of the cargo, and each mode of transport has a rate based on the quantity of items being exported and the country of destination.”

If the destination country is a member of the European Union, the transport of personal effects is simplified due to the EU’s free movement of persons and goods.

If the destination is a European country that is not a member of the EU or a third country, it is prudent to inquire about the necessary formalities and possible limitations on the entry of personal effects.

Working with specialized companies

Whichever route you choose, it is advisable to deal with a land transport company that can take care of loading your personal belongings at origin, transporting them by truck, which is the least complicated and least expensive option, and unloading them at destination.

If you are exporting by sea or air, the transport company you choose must ensure that it will arrange for the collection and loading of your personal effects into a suitable container, arranging for transportation by ship or air to the destination country, and transferring the personal effects to the destination address you have specified.

If you are not sure how to export your personal effects and are unsure of the most cost-effective method, it is prudent to use the services of a specialized freight forwarding company.

For example, a freight forwarder can advise you whether your personal effects will fit in a 20-foot or 40-foot container, or whether a groupage (container shared with other customers’ products) is more appropriate if your personal effects will not fill a container.

“If you are unsure how to export your personal effects and are in doubt about the most cost-effective method, it is prudent to enlist the services of a specialized freight forwarding company”.

It will also notify you which personal items you may and may not export.

Thus, you may transport furniture, household appliances, clothing, and books across countries as long as they are not classified as dangerous goods, i.e., they may catch fire or cause an accident.

The export of personal effects such as live animals and plants, fresh food (fruits, vegetables, meat, etc.), beverages, cleaning or perfumery articles, medicines and pharmaceutical products, cigarettes, combustible or explosive articles and firearms is prohibited.

What documentation is required?

To export personal items from Spain to another nation, you will need, in essence, the following:

  • Photocopy of the driver’s license, national identity card or passport.
  • Inventory of the contents, including a description of the personal effects and an appraisal of their value.
  • The departure details of the transport company
  • Authorization for export clearance (Connecta will provide you with a model).

If you ship the personal effects by sea, you will need the B/L or bill of lading as the main transit document. The freight forwarder can purchase and arrange this paperwork with the shipping company.

On the other hand, it is prudent to ensure personal effects for export, as this coverage will cover any loss or damage to the goods during transport.

Do we take care of the export of your personal belongings?

At Connecta we can advise you on how to export your personal belongings by land, sea, or air to any destination.

We coordinate all the paperwork and manage the export clearance in a maximum of 24 hours thanks to our experience. We will inform you of all the necessary formalities and we will also take care of all the paperwork with transport companies, airlines and carriers.

“At Connecta, we are experienced in exporting personal property and can coordinate all documentation and manage the export clearance process for you in as little as 24 hours”.

Connecta’s experts will handle all customs formalities associated with the export of personal goods, both at origin and destination.


Connecta has two channels of communication and document transmission:

Esta página web usa cookies para mejorar su experiencia de usuario.